MEMORIAL FOR THE SWEDISH OCCUPATION IN 1659
ARKITEKT EKBERG (1882-1935)
By the Station
The memorial pillar was put up 250 years after the occupation of Nakskov in 1659.
The memorial pillar is neoclassicist in its expression, and architect Ekberg was quite possibly inspired by Professor Johannes Wiedewelt (1731-1802). Johannes Wiedewelt was the first neoclassicist artist in the Nordic countries. In particular he is known for the memorial pillars in Jægerspris castle park (1776 – 1789).
The four small guns encircling the pillar do not have anything to do with the original monument for the Swedish occupation in 1659. The guns are around 300 years old and were last used in 1843 in a salute for King Christian VIII. The guns were formerly placed in the Town Hall garden.