• JOHN KØRNER (1967-)
  • ERECTED 2016/17
  • Nakskov station, Enehøje

Educated at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts 1992-1998. John Kørner is represented in numerous museums, among these Statens Museum for Kunst (National Gallery of Denmark), Arken (Arken Museum of Modern Art), ARoS (Aarhus Art Museum), and Tate Gallery. In 2003 John Kørner was awarded a 3-year art scholarship by the Danish Arts Foundation and in 2012 the Eckersberg Medal. John Kørner’s anniversary art contribution consists of four elements which tie together the town of Nakskov and Nakskov inlet.

The four elements of John Kørner’s Nakskov art are:

An oak bench which is placed in the waiting room of Nakskov central station. The bench is an exact copy of the original station bench, which was created by sculptor Hans W. Larsen in 1925. At Rødbyhavn Boat Building Yard, Poul Erik Thomsen from Holeby built the new bench according to John Kørner’s design.
Two bronze statues, one of Victor Cornelins and one of Peter Freuchen, the former placed by the station building and the latter on the island Enehøje. The two statues were cast by bronze caster Peter Jensen, Roskilde, according to John Kørner’s instructions.

The last part of the anniversary art is an approximately 20m long concrete wave placed in continuation of the traffic island in Perlestikker street (Perlestikkergade).

The statue of Victor Cornelins is placed in the small park by Nakskov station. Originally from Frederiksted on the Virgin Island of St. Croix, Victor Cornelins arrived in Denmark as a boy in the early 20th century. As a grown-up he settled in Nakskov and held a position as a deputy head teacher at the city school (Byskolen) for several years. Victor Cornelins established several choirs in Nakskov, among these The White Choir. The sculpture portrays a Victor Cornelins who is looking down Perlestikker street. The pronounced folds of his suit create the impression of a person who is moving forward in a rhythmic movement.

The second sculpture, the one on Enehøje, shows Peter Freuchen lying in the grass in front of the characteristic whale jaws which are the landmark of the island. Peter Freuchen was a Danish polar explorer, writer, and adventurer, who lived on the island from 1926 to 1940. The bronze statue of Peter Freuchen is full-scale – and when the left foot is missing it is because – in real life – it was amputated due to hypothermia after a polar expedition.

The Danish Arts Foundation contributes with 1,350,000 DKK for this project and the Municipality of Lolland with 450,000 DKK.